The COVID Cloud

Photo by Aleksandar Pasaric from Pexels

Let me start off with saying this is my story.  It is not meant to sway anyone, be a political initiative, or judge someone that may have a different experience.  It is based on my experience(s) from my perception backed by facts and personal research measures.

I have the opportunity to go to an event out of state.  It was a lottery system, so you can imagine my surprise when I got the call.  As with much of the nation, this state has different COVID mandates/requirements/restrictions than my home state.  We will say they are more strict and fairly in line with CDC guidance as it unrolls.

I live in a county that has had no mask mandate for months and most of our area has carried on business as usual.  Knowing our little oasis was very much ahead of even our state, it is smart to look up where you are going for their current status.  As I assumed, the state I am going to was still in a mask mandate [recently lifted].  As soon as the lift came, we received an event email stating vaccinated people may go maskless at the event with proof.  So this got my gears turning. . .

Since most businesses find validation a touchy subject not to mention the time and money to actually verify such status.  Since this is the first business I have come across that actually is looking for the 'golden ticket', I reached out with some tough questions to gain some sort of perspective of where companies are coming from.  I call it the 'BIG why'.

My first thought was why are companies only focused on COVID?  The answer is simple in my opinion-HYPE.

"I was also wondering if [you] will be asking people for proof of a negative herpes, tb, hiv, flu, measles, mumps, rubella, polio, meningitis, pertussis, pneumonia, mrsa, Ebola or any other highly contagious + deadly communicable disease."

It might shock some people to know that COVID is not the only pandemic going on that affects both the US and the globe.  It is estimated 1.5 million people die from Tuberculosis a year (TB Alliance, 2018)  This disease has been around since ancient times and continues to run rampant in society.  It is highly contagious and has no cure.  During this pandemic, Pneumonia deaths were neck and neck with COVID deaths; yet you hear NO mention of it.  There were only 1.5% more COVID deaths as of 6/5/2021.  (CDC)  The answer became apparent when the company responded:

"No, we are focused on the ongoing pandemic with COVID-19."

 COVID has such a strong presence that other risks have continually been overlooked.  I am unaware if this company did any research.  My assumption would be they have no idea that there are other pandemics going on based on their response.  Now, this is entirely opinion but it seems that if someone has to provide proof of COVID then they should also provide proof of Pneumococcal vaccine since the two are just as contagious and at times can be unapparent.  My initial question was to probe the idea of continuing to reveal rather intimate information about ourselves.  Food for thought - where do we draw the line?  What about the people who have natural immunity?

"How [are you] keeping each patrons information private?  Clearly one can’t keep private whether someone is vaxed or not with this rather touchy rule and basically giving non vax people the Star of David."

I have seen many conversations about HIPPA ADA, etc.  While your vax card is covered under HIPPA any lay person or business may ask you medical questions or to see your vax card.  They must be able to keep that information private if asking for that information.  Where it gets hairy is for the increase in fake cards.  Say this company thought a card was fake.  They could not call the doctor/provider without your consent to confirm.  This would be a violation of HIPPA.  You can see where this concept of asking for peoples cards can be not only a waste of time but money.

And please do not think that I am comparing the rules/regs of this pandemic to the Holocaust.  My reference was more of a symbolic association with segregation/bias/predjudice/discrimination.  

"We are not documenting cards, or keeping any vaccination cards on file.  Wearing a mask does not equate to not being vaccinated. For example, someone could absolutely simply refuse to provide OR not give proof of a vaccination – but, in reality they could be vaccinated. OR, they could even prefer to wear a mask, which we are already seeing. It’s simply our policy to continue wearing a mask if proof isn’t provided – which is a choice guests can make on their own accord."

 While I cannot argue with what they are seeing, I was coming from a place based on my experiences.  As I mentioned, we have been 'open' for some time and being a rather conservative county, most people have taken off their masks.  Those that don't are typically high risk [based on observation] or not vaccinated.  I would guess that there are a small percentage of vaccinated people here that continue to mask.  

I have been discriminated against on both sides-wearing a mask and not wearing a mask.  I find their response to be a little naive in the sense that it sounded like they don't think there is any discrimination in mask vs non-mask.  

"My next question is how is BT willing to handle those who are wearing masks from discrimination and being shunned from others? I assume the response above covers this."

Again, this is just what I observe and have experienced. I would like to know the actual percentage or data of people still masking up after vaccination.  If anyone has that information-please share in the comments with citing/link.  Food for thought:  If you are vaccinated, why do you care if someone is masked or not masked?  The non-masked people who aren't vaxed know the risk just as much as you do.  Why the precise segregation?  Why not just make everyone where a mask since anyone can still give & get COVID- vax or not.  [Recently had a good friend and her entire household get the 'VID' and they were vaccinated].

This company cares deeply about their employees which became apparent in our correspondence and I commend them for this.  At the end of the day, they are coming from a place of compassion and care.  That is what should matter regardless of my views/thoughts/opinions.  I tend to ask the hard questions and play Devil's Advocate because so much of the world right now seems to be on railroad tracks.  

People, groups, companies just trying to push forward through the chaos and sometimes make hard decisions that not everyone is going to agree with.  What I would love to see is more diversion.  People asking more questions, doing more research, educating themselves not off memes and headlines.  Dig into the knowledge and conversations with people who have different thoughts & experiences from your own.  I know I can be better at this.

This was more of an experiment to see what questions have not been asked especially during a time where the story seems to only have one narrative or one character.  Venture out of the COVID cloud and start seeing there is more to the story.  There are other things that should have just as much importance and we are dwelling in a place that doesn't need all our energy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011 NPC JR NATIONALS: MissFits & Mayhem Give It Their All

Say A Little Prayer For Me

The Challenge: Melaleuca Sustain VS Gatorade G2 Low Calorie