Our Reading Rainbow

The best way to learn a language is to see, hear, and interact with the language consistently.  I have had it easy with a 13 month old who loves books.  I emphasize LOVE!  We read no less than ten books a day and most of those books 3-4 times each sitting.  I wish I was being over-the-top.  We have read some so many times that I have them memorized.

I am not mad that my daughter is fascinated with her growing library collection.  Let's hope it continues as she grows and attends school.

We thought we would share some of our favorite reads with you and why they have been so great!

You're My Little Series - $8.99/Book
4 Books with a 5th being released in September 2020
  • You're My Little Honey Bunny
  • You're My Little Christmas Wish
  • You're My Little Pumpkin Pie
  • You're My Little Cuddle Bug
  • You're My Little Snuggle Bear
By Nicola Edwards | Illustrated by Nicole Marshall

These books are just the cutest!  We received a few as gifts and our little loves the illustrations.  It has chunky cut outs that help the story come alive.  The rhyming and story in each is so positive with little affirmations and encouraging words as you go along.  I enjoy reading them just as much as our little one.  We purchased ours on Amazon.

Berenstain Bears Classic Collection - $25/set
10 Book Box Set

  • Berenstain Bears Kindness Counts
  • Berenstain Bears and the Golden Rule
  • Berenstain Bears God Loves You
  • Berenstain Bears and the Forgiving Tree
  • Berenstain Bears and Say Their Prayers
  • Berenstain Bears and the Trouble with Things
  • Berenstain Bears God Made You Special
  • Berenstain Bears Play a Good Game
  • Berenstain Bears Go to Sunday School
  • Berenstain Bears and the Gift of Courage
By Jan & Mike Berenstain
I remember the Berenstain Bears from when I was in grade school and now I can pass them along to my little.  This box collection is a Faith Based Set.  For those not into this box set, they have other non-faith based stories and sets.  These books portray challenges we face [don't be fooled by the fact that these books began in 1962 - many of these challenges still happen today!] and what lessons we can learn.  Cannot go wrong with this cute and educational series.

The Wide-Mouthed Frog - $12
1 Book
By Keith Faulkner | Illustrated by Jonathan Lambert

Artistic and fun pop-up book I happen to stumble across on Amazon.  So glad I did!  This book is great for doing little voices and moving the pages just right to have the animals actually talk.  Our little thinks my voices are hilarious. . .quick book and comes to life!

The Pout Pout Fish Series - $5-8
15 or more books
By Deborah Diesen | Illustrated by Dan Hanna

We love the original!  I use fun voices for all the characters and my little gets a kick our of the fact that the squid is from Texas and the clam from the UK-haha!  We have not bought any of the other series as many reviews state the rhyming and story just are not there.  Likely we will not look any further into the series but so recommend the original.  It's a bedtime favorite!

Little Blue Truck Series - $5-12
8 Books
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Goodnight, Little Blue Truck
  • Little Blue Truck's Spring Time
  • Little Blue Truck's Halloween
  • Little Blue Truck's Beep-Along 
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Little Blue Truck Farm Sticker Fun
  • Little Blue Truck's Christmas
By Alice Schertle | Illustrated by Jill McElmurray

We were gifted the original book and have enjoyed the story.  My little loves pointing out the animals and learning the sounds.  We call this book "Beep Beep".  We have not bought any others from the series but will likely select one or two to add to our library.

After the Fall - $10
By Dan Santat

My little loves Humpty Dumpty and after about the umpteen time of reciting the nursery rhyme, I thought maybe she would love to know more about Humpty?!  I searched on Amazon and came across this book.  Beautifully illustrated, great story with some good life lessons. . .highly recommend this Caldecott Medal book!

Chicka Chicka Series - $5-8
3 Books
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • Chicka Chicka 1 2 3
  • Words
By Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault

Brightly colored illustrations using easy to recognize shapes.  Fun rhythm in the words as your little learns the ABC, 123 sequences.  Gives life to the letters and numbers!  We even do a little chicka chicka boom boom dance. . .We have not bought the 3rd book, "Words" as the review suggest it is the illustration style but not the wording style of the other two.  Still great additions to the library! 

Booked Illustrated by David Caltrow - $12 and up

A family member got us "When God Made You" and noted it was their favorite illustrator.  I can see why.  Vivid, beautiful photos that automatically spark imagination and wonder.  We have added "I Like Myself", "When God Made Light", and "On Top of the Potty".  Fun rhyming, good stories, brightly colored-you cannot go wrong!

What book series or other books have you found to be favs for your little's library?  Share your must haves below. . .we love a good book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011 NPC JR NATIONALS: MissFits & Mayhem Give It Their All

Say A Little Prayer For Me

The Challenge: Melaleuca Sustain VS Gatorade G2 Low Calorie