The Teachable Heart

"Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statues; and I will keep it to the end.  Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.  Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.  Incline my heart to your testimonies and not to selfish gain!"  Psalm 119: 33-36

With being in many difficult situations in the past 6 years, it has come to my attention that I am not as good of a listener as I may have thought.  For years, I let other people's words hurt my feelings and anger took hold within the deep recesses of my being.  It stole my time-my time away from joy, love, and God.  My knee-jerk reaction to hear someone, make a conclusion, and choose to be offended became a choice I did not want to make anymore.  I had pushed the only thing I loved more than myself toward others and in return set myself up for some major disappointments.  The hardest part was looking in the mirror and realizing just how tightly wound I was-admitting that I was overly sensitive and not listening objectively.

“A man’s wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense” Proverbs 19:11

In finding Wendy Blight's great resources and seeing she struggled with similar ailments; I immediately realized it was my responsibility to make a choice to not take things so personal (no matter how offensive it may be).  I was the only one who could take in God's word and see what the offenders words were saying.  Maybe they had hurts I wasn't hearing or valid points I missed-maybe even I was not giving them something they were needing/wanting.  

Through God, I know I can finally start listening to others and not push them away through my rather deaf and unbecoming reactions.  I know it will come with struggles and set backs; but with His guidance I hope my attitude can change for the better and allow me to handle difficult situations in a more objective and loving manor.  I am teachable!

 “In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.”  Ephesians 4:26-27

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011 NPC JR NATIONALS: MissFits & Mayhem Give It Their All

Say A Little Prayer For Me

The Challenge: Melaleuca Sustain VS Gatorade G2 Low Calorie